Saturday, December 14, 2019
Graduation is held at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium. Please arrive early to avoid traffic and to allow plenty of time for parking.
There are two separate ceremonies:
Livestream will be available for Commencement.
Business, Education and Nursing
- Ceremony begins at 10:00 a.m.
- Processional begins at 9:40 a.m.
- Doors open for seating at 8:45 a.m.
Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences; Science, Technology, Engineering and Math; and University College (Interdisciplinary Studies)
- Ceremony begins at 2:00 p.m.
- Processional begins at 1:40 p.m.
- Doors open for seating at 12:45 p.m.
Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium (website)
Order Graduation Photos at www.gradimages.com
Customer Service Department at (800) 261-2576 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
December commencement is a time to celebrate your educational efforts; however, in keeping with the idea that this should be a dignified ceremony, we will conduct a formal graduation. Please adhere to the following guidelines.
- a white dress shirt and ties, dark pants and dark shoes or
- dress, skirt, or slacks and dress shoes. Dresses and skirts should be shorter than graduation gowns.
- Tennis shoes and/or flip flops are not appropriate. Please choose footwear and heel heights appropriate for walking up three flights of stairs.
- Caps should be worn so they sit level rather than on the back or to the side of the head.
- In respect for each graduate and their families, we ask spectators and degree candidates remain seated.
- Degree candidates and their guests should not participate in disruptive behavior until the last graduate walks across the stage. Noisemakers, beach balls, balloons and other items that could disrupt the ceremony will not be tolerated.
We expect the convocation to last about 90 minutes on December 14. USC Upstate Chancellor Brendan Kelly will preside at convocation.
- There are no rehearsals prior to graduation.
- Students should report dressed in academic regalia to Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium – lower level no later than 9:00 a.m. for 10:00 a.m ceremony and 1:00 p.m. for the 2:00 p.m. ceremony.
- If a degree candidate anticipates his/her name may be mispronounced, he/she may write the name phonetically on the top of the name card.
- Students arriving late may risk not marching in the procession and will be placed at the end of the line, out of their degree order.
- Please do not bring umbrellas, purses, or any valuables with you, as there will not be a secure place to store them.
Parking and Directions
The Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium Parking Information and Directions
Professional photographers will photograph each degree candidate as he or she is greeted by Chancellor Kelly. Complimentary photograph proofs will be sent to the permanent address of each degree candidate about 30 days after the ceremony. Additional photographs may be purchased upon receipt of the proof, but there is absolutely no obligation to purchase any photographs.
There will also be a professional photographer available to take still cap and gown photographs of the degree candidates on this special day. This photographer will be located in Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium – lower level from 4:30 p.m. - 6 p.m. for the December Commencement exercises. For more information, contact Grad Images at 1-800-261-2576 or at www.gradimages.com.
Auditorium Clear Bag Policy
Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium has recently rolled out its new “Clear Bag Policy” for all guests visiting the venue and they want people to be aware of the new security screening process. You can view all the details about the security screening policy at the link below.
The auditorium has 12” x 6” x 12” clear tote bags for sale at the box office for $5 cash only. They also have one-gallon Ziploc clear bags at no cost to guests who may need one.
SENIOR LEGACY FUND
The Senior Legacy Project is a long-standing tradition in which each graduating class presents the University with a gift to commemorate their time at USC Upstate and give back to help give future generations of students the opportunity to experience a life-changing students opportunity to leave your mark on USC Upstate.
Seniors will have the opportunity to confirm graduation status, order class ring, make their senior class gift, buy cap and gown. Learn about the USC Upstate Alumni Association and tackle many other important tasks.
Grad Fair will be held:
- From 3-6 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 28, at the University Center of Greenville
- From 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 29, at the George Dean Johnson, Jr. College of Business and Economics
- From 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 30, at the University Bookstore
Grad Fair will provide seniors the opportunity to:
- Confirm graduation status
- Verify spelling of name for graduation program
- Pick up graduation tickets. Student Id is required. Guests cannot pick up tickets for seniors
- Purchase cap and gown
- Order class ring and graduation invitations
- Learn about the USC Upstate Alumni Association
- Participate in The Senior Legacy Project
- Take graduation portrait