Info for Faculty
On the day of commencement, the faculty will gather in a NEW location in the lobby of the Library building no later than 5:15 p.m. dressed in full academic regalia. The faculty should be ready to process at 5:40 p.m. before the start of the ceremony and will be announced to the audience prior to processing in. The faculty procession will be led by a student marshal and will enter the quadrangle through the tent, walking up to the front left section and will enter row by row. Please do not bring any purses or valuables to the Library lobby as there will be no way to secure them.
The Platform Party will assemble in the Stockwell Administration Building lobby no later than 5:15 p.m. This procession will consist of selected University administrators, deans of the colleges and schools, members of the Spartanburg County Commission for Higher Education and the USC Board of Trustees, the honorary degree recipient(s), clergy, the speaker, Chancellor Kelly and President Pastides. The Chair of the Faculty Senate will lead the platform party processional by carrying the University Mace. This group should be lined up and prepared to step off at 5:40 p.m.
In the event of severe weather, the ceremony will be split into three separate ceremonies and moved inside to the Hodge Arena, as follows:
Ceremony 1 at 12:00 noon
- College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- University College
Ceremony 2 at 3:00 pm
- School of Education, Human Performance, and Health
- College of Science and Technology
Ceremony 3 at 6:00 pm
- Mary Black School of Nursing
- George Dean Johnson, Jr. College of Business and Economics
Overflow seating will be made available in the Great Room of the University Readiness Center, where the ceremonies will be live streamed on the mounted screens.
The decision to implement the severe weather plan will be made by Noon on the day before (May 6) commencement.
Involved parties will be informed of this decision by the following communication methods:
- Our website
- Email: Students, faculty and staff will be sent an email announcing the change of venue by no later than 12:15 p.m. the day before commencement
- Campus and highway electronic signage will announce venue changes
- The university switchboard operator will have all relevant information for those wishing to call campus 864-503-5000 for inclement weather announcements
- Select media outlets will be asked to communicate any severe weather announcements