Helping Student Veterans and their Families

The Veterans Affairs Office is here to help student veterans and their families. In addition to answering questions related to service, benefits, education and career choices, the Veterans Affairs Office is also responsible for certifying V.A. benefits. Students who wish to apply for V.A. benefits and continuing V.A. benefits must come by the Veterans Affairs Office each semester.

For more information, contact Robin Hollis at 864-503-5273.

  • Mesothelioma Guide is your trusted ally in the fight against asbestos-related cancer. We provide up-to-date information about living with mesothelioma, top doctors, treatment options, and more. Mesothelioma Guide

    CHAPTER 30 - The Montgomery GI Bill® (“new” GI Bill®)

    The Montgomery GI Bill® (“new” GI Bill®): This program provides educational benefits for individuals entering the military service after June 30, 1985. (Reservists and National Guard members should refer to Chapter 1606 below).

    NOTE: Any previous recipient of “old” GI Bill® benefits should report them as Chapter 30 on this form.

    CHAPTER 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation for Service-Disabled Veterans

    This program is for individuals who have a compensable service connected disability, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs determines that training and rehabilitation services are needed to overcome an employment handicap. Students reporting this benefit must report monthly subsistence allowance on this form. 

    CHAPTER 33 – Post – 9/11 GI Bill®

    This program is for individuals who served on active duty after 09/10/2001. Individuals must have served for an aggregated period of at least 90 days or served at least 30 continuous days and received a disability discharge.

    NOTE: Individuals are eligible while on active duty after serving a period of 90 days.

    CHAPTER 35 – Dependents Educational Assistance Program 

    This program is for dependents (spouse or children) of individuals who die or are permanently and totally disabled from service connected causes. 

    CHAPTER 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill®:  Selected Reserve (old Chapter 1606)

    This program is available to members of the Selected Reserve including the National Guard. 

    CHAPTER 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance Program

    This benefit is for a Reservist called to active duty to support contingency operations.

  • CHAPTER 35– Dependents Educational Assistance Program

    Who is this for? This program is for dependents (spouse or children) of individuals who die or are permanently and totally disabled from service connected causes.  

  • In order to receive V.A. education benefits, eligible students must be certified through the Veterans Affairs Office. After enrolling at USC Upstate, please contact Veterans Affairs Coordinator Robin Hollis. In addition to applying to the V.A., students must also complete the online V.A. Enrollment Verification form below. You will need your network ID to access the Enrollment Verification Form.

    Veterans Affairs Enrollment Verification Form (for continuing Veterans only)

    Who is eligible for V.A. student benefits?

    • Veterans
    • Dependents of veterans
    • Surviving spouse, child or parent of a deceased veteran
    • Uniformed service member
    • Present/former National Guard member or reservist

    How do you apply for V.A. benefits?

    Do I need to contact the Veterans Affairs Coordinator throughout the year?
    Students receiving V.A. benefits must notify the V.A. Coordinator if:

    • There is an increase or decrease in the number of credit hours he or she is taking.
    • They withdrawal from the university. 
    • They are selected for reserve status.
    • There is a change in their legal name or mailing address.

    Students who do not inform the Veterans Affairs Coordinator of their current status, may result in a delay in processing their benefit claim.

  • USC Upstate offers several on campus resources for veterans. For additional information on resources available to veterans, please contact Robin Hollis, veterans affairs coordinator at 864-503-5273 or Robin Hollis.

    On Campus Resources

    Green Zones:
    Across campus, veterans will find green zones, military friendly locations where student veterans can feel safe. Faculty, staff members and students in these locations attend annual training to understand issues veterans encounter,  to help veterans find appropriate resources and to support veterans as they transition to or form deployment. Green zones are labeled with a green postcard. 

    Current green zones Download PDF

    For more information, please contact Lisa Caggiano or 864-503-5886.

    Go Army Tuition Assistance Program:
    USC Upstate is proud to participate in the Go Army Tuition Assistance Program. Assistance covers up to $250 per credit hour. Veterans who are on active duty, in the National Guard or in the Military Reserves may begin the application process by completing the verification of military service form Download PDF and returning it to Student Account Services. More information is available on the Go Army Tuition Assistance Program web page.

    Student Veterans Association
    The purpose of the Student Veterans Association is to connect veterans with resources needed for success and to cultivate a veteran-supportive environment. A strong connection will be constructed within the SVA, the administration, faculty and the community, while providing veterans with all the means necessary for student life and achievement beyond school. Membership within the SVA will be open to all registered students attending USC Upstate who are enrolled in at least one credit hour and who are veterans, active duty, reservists or family members of servicemen or women.

    For more information, please contact the following.

    Tina Herzberg, Associate ProfessorAssociate Professor
    HEC, Room 3039

    Lori Whitmire, Faculty Advisor 
    Media 129 

    Student Veterans Association

    Additional Resources

    Student Success 
    Library second floor
    Susannah Waldrop, Director

    Veterans Affairs
    HEC, Room 2050
    Robin Hollis, Veterans Coordinator

    Office of Diability Services
    Sansbury CLC, Suite 107
    Wendy Woodsby, Director

    Financial Aid
    HEC, Room 2076
    Bonnie Carson, Director 

    HEC, Room 2064
    Ira Pace, Counselor