With a robust State benefits package, the University of South Carolina Upstate is well-positioned to offer comprehensive coverage that will satisfy your personal preferences and provide for your family.
There are many levels of insurance coverage available, as well as flexible spending accounts to keep your coverage affordable. Learn more about health insurance, dental and vision coverage, life insurance and disability insurance. You will also find information related to Medicare, cancer and hospital confinement, and auto and home insurance.
The State administers two types of primary retirement plans: A defined benefit plan and a defined contribution plan. Find out how these programs will prepare you for retirement, and also explore your options for deferred compensation, tax deferred annuities and a unique deferred retirement program known as the TERI Program.
Enroll and Make Changes
For current employees, any additions or changes that you'd like to make to your state insurance or retirement plans must be made during an open enrollment period, which takes place in October each year. Any changes made to your benefits become effective the following January. Learn more about the enrollment process and some exceptions that may apply.
While our Human Resources team is more than happy to answer any questions you might have about your benefits, it is often recommended or even necessary to contact the providers directly. That's why we've provided you a comprehensive list of providers and their contact information to easily access needed information to answer your questions.
If you are injured on the job, you may be eligible for Workers' Compensation benefits. When work-related accidents or injuries happen, employers are required by state law to make sure an injured employee is provided necessary protection and care. Get your questions answered about what to do if you are injured to ensure you are properly compensated for your medical treatment.
Time Away From Work
Whether you are sick or need time away from work for a family vacation, every employee needs time off. Learn how paid time off is accrued, and details about how other types of leave are handled such as Family and Medical Leave, hazardous weather leave, holidays and education leave.
Employee Assistance Program
From recurring annoyances to life-changing crises, all of us experience difficulties in our personal lives every now and then. Fortunately, the University offers an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) as a practical and confidential resource available to permanent employees and their dependents to support you in your time of need.
Privileges and Discounts
For many of our employees, family priorities or other limitations make it challenging to maintain a healthy balance between work and home life. Through the University's campus resources and community relationships, we've developed healthy opportunities such as discounted wellness packages and other unique opportunities like tuition assistance.
- Tuition Assistance and Reimbursement provides free tuition for faculty and staff in full-time positions
- Employee “PerksCard” for discounts and savings
- Free dental coverage for benefits-eligible full-time employee
- Annual and sick leave accruals
- Retirement plans, 401(k) options and membership in the Retired Employee Association
- Employee Assistance Program
- Training and Professional Development
- $5 lunch or dinner in the Dining Hall
- Free on-campus parking
- “Tree Campus USA” recipient with beautiful landscaping and parks
- Events facilities to rent, including the CLC Ballroom and Roël Pavilion in the Susan Jacobs Arboretum
- Admission to the May Day picnic, USC Upstate’s annual employee appreciation event
- 50 percent tuition discount at Spartanburg Day School (for full-time employees)
- Discounts at many local establishments with a valid University ID
- Reduced corporate rate for individual or family membership at Spartanburg Athletic Club
- Reduced nightly rates at Marriott Renaissance Park for USC Upstate employees and/or guests
- Carolina Collegiate Credit Union
- A 19% discount on any personal account with Verizon
- Savings of up to 15% on the monthly service charge of qualified wireless plans with AT&T.
- Homes for Heroes offers special rates when buying, selling, or refinancing a home to educators, educational support staff, and more
- Two tickets for free admission to all home athletic events
- Discounted rates for basketball season tickets (reserved seats, parking, etc.)
- Buy USC Columbia football and basketball season tickets directly from the University
- Tickets to productions by the Shoestring Players sold at the student rate
- Reduced rates for employees at the USC Upstate Spartan Rec Center