Resume Entry Assignment
Here is a sample assignment. You are welcome to use this in its entirety or to adjust it to better suit your course.
This sample is based on the Professionalism/Work Ethic competency. At the bottom of this page, you will find selected templates in MS Word format for your convenience. If your chosen SLO is not yet available as a template, please adjust the resume entry to match your service environment and your chosen SLO.
For this assignment, you will complete a line suitable for your resume. Employers want well-rounded workers with a variety of experiences, so including your service experience on your resume may make a positive impact.
If you will have multiple service experiences on your resume, you may create a subheading for Service Experiences. If you have only one, place this at the start of the entry. Follow this with the organization name and when you served. Follow this with 2~3 lines highlighting your accomplishments, skills honed, and lessons learned during your service experience. As professionalism/work ethic is one of the career readiness competences we have explored during this course, please highlight this in your resume entry.
As a reminder, here is the National Association of Colleges and Educators description of professionalism/work ethic
- Demonstrate personal accountability and effective work habits, e.g., punctuality, working productively with others, and time workload management, and understand the impact of non-verbal communication on professional work image. The individual demonstrates integrity and ethical behavior, acts responsibly with the interests of the larger community in mind, and is able to learn from his/her mistakes.
- Service Experience: [organization name]. [organization location]. [months served]. [course]
[Action you performed- quantify if possible]. [Skill you developed/practiced/honed]. [Lesson you learned]
- Service Experience: Adult Learning Center. Spartanburg, SC. August - December 2019. Course: ENSL 353
Taught and tutored English with 5 speakers of Spanish, Hmong, and Swahili. Prepared and delivered weekly lessons tailored to my students. Learned that investing time to practice and polish presentations before class is a matter of respecting my students.
Available assignment templates are hyperlinked. If there is no template for your SLO, we invite you to use a provided template and create a resume entry relevant to your service environment. If you'd like to share, please forward completed resume entries to ServiceLearning@uscupstate.edu. If you would like help in creating a resume entry, please let us know & we can work together on one, then add it to this page.
The templates provided below include color as an aid for students. Please be aware some students may find this a hindrance and work to accommodate them in other ways.
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Professionalism/Work Ethic
- Oral/Written Communications
- Digital Technology
- Career Management
- Global/Intercultural Fluency