Full Time Equivalent
Make Recommendation to Department Head
- Each Vice Chancellor/Dean area has its own internal procedures for the approval of the selected candidate and you must follow them.
- Consider crafting a memorandum or completing a new hire justification form to present to the department head or manager as to why the candidate was chosen. A new hire justification is required to be submitted to USC Upstate Human Resources.
Secure Salary Approval
- Contact Employment Classification & Compensation Manager with the finalist’s name for a salary calculation.
- An Upstate Employment Classification & Compensation Manager must calculate and obtain salary approval from UofSC HR before an offer of employment can be extended. The hiring manager will receive an email with the approved salary amount and approval to proceed to make a contingent verbal offer from Upstate Employment Classification & Compensation Manager.
Make the Offer
- The hiring manager will contact the finalist to make the contingent verbal offer after the professional reference checks have been successfully completed. The references will be summarized or recorded on the Reference check form
- and send to the Employment Classification & Compensation Manager
- Offer the approved salary amount. If the offer is accepted, determine a start date allowing a minimum of 2 weeks to for background check completion.
- If the finalist has benefits related questions, an HR representative can share information via email or contact them to answer questions.
- Contact Upstate Employment Classification & Compensation Manager with verbal acceptance and start date.
Send Offer Letter
- Upstate Employment Classification & Compensation will create the offer letter and send to the hiring manager. The hiring manager will review, print on department letterhead, sign and then send the offer letter along with the position description to the finalist for acceptance signature.
- All pages of the signed offer and position description should be returned to the hiring manager. The hiring manager will forward to Employment Classification & Compensation Manager.
Application Disposition in USC Jobs System
- The search chair must update the status of all remaining applications in USC Jobs before the hiring documents can be processed.
- Change the status of all applicants not selected for an interview to “Not Hired,” reason “Not Selected for an Interview.” Change the status of all interviewed applicants to “Interviewed” and provide the date of the interview. Then change the status of interviewees not hired to “Not Hired” along with the reason. Reasons must be based upon the position requirements and the qualifications of the candidate. Change status of the applicant selected for the position to “Recommended for Hire.”
- Contact Upstate Employment, Classification & Compensation with any questions regarding application disposition
Complete New Hire Paperwork and Preparations
All elements of the background check must be successfully completed prior to the start date.
- A background check (which may consist of verification of previous employment, verification of education and licenses, and a criminal conviction search) is required. Some positions require additional checks. Upstate Employment Classification & Compensation will initiate the background check.
- If a proof of valid driver’s license and driving record is required, the hiring manager will request this from the finalist to be received asap. The hiring manager should forward to Upstate Background Screening.
- Designated positions require pre-employment and random drug screen.
- A hiring checklist is sent to the hiring manger to help with this process.
- There are a number of forms which must be completed. You should work with your Upstate Employment Classification & Compensation Manager on this step of the process – the hiring proposal cannot be submitted without the forms.
- The hiring manager will receive a checklist containing important new hire information regarding the I-9, etc. The hiring manager will share with the candidate to prepare for the hire and getting started. The hiring checklist will contain many tasks needed to be done by the department in preparation and anticipation of the new hire’s first day.
- Upstate Employment Classification & Compensation will complete the hiring proposal.
- Included in the checklist is a reminder to schedule a new hire orientation appointment with USC Upstate Training Coordinator The new hire orientation will assist the employee in learning key information about USC Upstate and the Upstate campus.