New Employee Onboarding
You've just joined a workforce of 1,000 faculty and staff, educating about 6,000 students in over 40 majors from 36 states and 51 nations.
You are now a member of a thriving campus community and distinguished academic university. We're glad you're here! Use this information as a guide to assist in a smooth transition into your new position at USC Upstate. Get started below.
Before arriving to campus for your first day, review the material below to familiarize yourself with important information.
- If applicable, review your benefits online to make an informed decision.
- Become familiar with USC Upstate policies and procedures.
- Meet the Chancellor.
- View your department's organizational chart.
- Understand your department's culture by thoroughly reading its webpage. Simply visit the A-Z Index to find your department.
- Read current articles on our faculty's scholarly research and achievements on the Faculty Focus page.
- Map your morning commute to work and plan where you will park.
- Complete your OSHA training. Print and sign your training log to bring on your first day.
- Become a fan of the Spartans and join our social media outlets.
- Check out all the employee perks.
- Review the Drug-Free Workplace Policy.
- Visit Human Resources: Come prepared with your I-9 identification information and your decisions on benefits.
- New Staff Orientation: One-on-one meeting with Training Coordinator to familiarize with the basics.
- New Faculty Orientation: Held at the beginning of each academic year.
- Faculty/Staff Picture: It's required! Set up an appointment with our University Photographer, Les Duggins, at 864-503-5591. His office is located on the ground floor of the Library, Tukey Theater entrance, room 013.
- Parking decal from University Police: Bring your vehicle registration and proof of insurance to the Public Safety office.
- Set up your email address: Review email tips from University Communications.
- Set up your voice mail message, ring tone, etc.: Instructions can be found at Information Technology and Data Services webpage.
Within your first two weeks, you should accomplish the following:
- Log into ITAMS, the University's Internet-based Time & Attendance Management System. This link is also located on the Faculty & Staff webpage.
- Create your ID at University Public Safety.
- Meet your co-workers and those at other offices with whom you will work closely.
- Make webpage changes and updates as necessary to reflect new information.
- Complete any initial training sessions listed on your New Employee Training Worksheet.
- You should receive access to any shared drives, special programs or software for your position. If you do not, check with your supervisor.
- Sign up for safety notifications through SpartAlert.
JOIN IN and find your favorite volunteer opportunity:
- Advise a student organization
- Help with Freshmen Move-In Day
- Consider joining Staff Council
- Dig in our community garden
- Serve at Late Night Breakfast
ATTEND university-wide events:
- University Day
- Holiday Celebration
- May Day Picnic
- Athletic Events
CONTRIBUTE to your favorite charity:
- Family Fund
- United Way
- Cancer Awareness Initiatives
- SNAC Program - providing non-perishable food items for students in need
- Relay for Life
LEARN through many opportunities:
- New employee orientation
- New employee tours
- Workshops and seminars throughout the year
- Tuition Assistance and Reimbursement provides free tuition for faculty and staff in full-time positions
Give us your FEEDBACK about your first year at USC Upstate, and tell us how we can improve the new employee orientation process.
Remember the University's #1 core value: PEOPLE COME FIRST