Services for Students
Counseling Services is here for students, providing support and information in the event of a psychological crisis. Counseling Services Services include free and confidential counseling services to currently enrolled students. Counseling Services staff comply with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and state guidelines.
Online resources including free mental health screenings, virtual pamphlets, and community and national resource listings.
Educational Workshops Serving the campus community by providing outreach services and educational workshops. Frequently Asked Questions Providing answers to frequently asked questions regarding Counseling Services at USC Upstate. Testing Services Available methods of testing and evaluation include Therapeutic Assessment and graduate school admissions (MAT) testing.
How to Schedule an Appointment To make an initial appointment with Counseling Services, call our office at 864-503-5195, or come by Sansbury Campus Life Center (CLC) Suite 224 between 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Prepare to share your contact information including your name, student id number, date of birth, and phone number.
Please note that the terms Therapist/Counselor/Clinician may be used interchangeably.
Counseling Services at the University of South Carolina Upstate provides free and confidential comprehensive counseling services to currently enrolled students. These services include the following:
- Individual and Couples Counseling
- To help students deal with an array of personal and interpersonal issues including stress, anxiety, depression, grief and relationship issues.
- Therapeutic Assessment
- To support students with affordable assessment for possible Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or Learning Disabilities.
- Group Counseling
- A group environment where students may gain support and understanding from peers.
- Crisis Intervention
To offer students with urgent emotional distress immediate assistance.
- Psychiatric Services
- To support students who may benefit from medication management.
In addition, Counseling Services provides educational workshops on a wide range of topics including but not limited to the following:
- Stress Management
- Test Anxiety
- Time Management
- Suicide Prevention
- Healthy Relationships
- Grief and Loss
Counseling Services is recognized as an established site for those students needing to take the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). This test is offered several times throughout the year.
You can contact Counseling Services between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. at.864- 503-5195. Our offices are located on the second floor of the Sansbury Campus Life Center (CLC), Suite 224.
*Please note that beginning 9/1/16, individuals who do not show for their scheduled psychiatry or psychological testing appointment will be charged a $25 fee. This fee must be paid with cash or check prior to scheduling your next psychiatry or testing appointment. No exceptions will be made.
- Individual and Couples Counseling
The test consists of 120 items, which you will be given 60 minutes to complete. Due to the information that must be completed prior to the test, please plan to be at the test site for approximately two hours.
The following must be brought with you on the date of the test:
- $100 check or money order (NO cash) made payable to USC Upstate
- A photo ID (driver's license, etc.)
- Two sharpened No. 2 pencils
- Name and complete mailing address of institutions to which you would like to have the scores sent (as many as three may be sent at no charge)
- If you have taken the MAT before (within the last year), you MUST bring a copy of your score report or you will not be admitted to the test.
Upcoming Test Dates:
All tests will be held at 4:30 p.m. in Media 218.
Wednesday, March 22
Wednesday May 17
To register for the MAT, please contact Counseling Services at 864-503-5195. If you are unable to take the MAT on your scheduled testing date, please let us know as soon as possible because there is often a waiting list.