You're Hired! Now What?
Congratulations on your new job as a student employee at USC Upstate! We know you will be an important contributor to the University's success. After accepting an offer of employment, follow the steps below to ensure a smooth transition into your new job.
Step 1: Human Resources
- You must complete the I-9 and W-4 forms in the Human Resources Office before the end of your first day of work.
- Bring the proper IDs. See this list for acceptable forms of I-9 required identification.
NOTE: All forms of identification must be original. We cannot accept photocopies or faxes. If you worked on campus in the past three years and have already completed these forms, then you should not complete them again.
Step 2: Wait Time for VIP Login
- You must wait 7-10 business days after your first day of work before you can log into VIP as a student employee.
Step 3: VIP
- From The Dome, click the VIP button.
- When accessing VIP, you may first be required to enter additional credentials through the USC Central Authentication Service (CAS). On this screen, login with either your VIP ID or your Blackboard username.
- In VIP, enter your VIP ID into Step 1 and password into Step 2. Click the Login button.
- Click the "Employment" link in the left navigation.
- Click "Payroll Direct Deposit" to enter your banking information.
- Direct deposit is REQUIRED!
- NOTE: Pay stubs will not be viewable several days before payday, and the error message will read: "EMPLOYEE GROSS IS ZERO."
Step 4: ITAMS for Hourly Employees
Weekly timesheets must be submitted for approval no later than the following Sunday.
- From The Dome, click the ITAMS button.
- Log in through the USC Central Authentication Service (CAS) using your VIP ID or your Blackboard username.
- Click "Time Entry" in the upper right corner.
- Open the drop-down menu "Report Period Ending" to select the week you wish to enter hours. (Work weeks are Sunday — Saturday).
- Enter the number of hours worked for the week.
- If no timesheet appears, click "AddTimeCde" in the upper right corner.
- Enter minutes rounded to the next quarter hour as .25, .50 or .75 (for example, if you worked 5 hours and 12 minutes, enter 5.25; for 5 hours and 28 minutes, enter 5.50).
- Click "Save" and then click "Send for Approval."
- In the confirmation box, leave the default timesheet approver and click "Send."
Step 5: Success!
Congratulations, you're done! Here are a few things to note:
- Don't forget to submit your timesheet on time every week.
- Paydays are the 15th and the last day of each month.
- See the weeks paid on each pay date.
- Direct Deposit is required.
- Your first paycheck may be in paper form, which is available for pickup at the cashiers' windows in the Health Education Complex. The pay stub in VIP will indicate the method of disbursement.