You're Hired! Now What?
Congratulations on your new job as a student employee at USC Upstate! We know you will be an important contributor to the University's success. After accepting an offer of employment, follow the steps below to ensure a smooth transition into your new job:
Step 1: Human Resources
- You must complete the I-9 and W-4 forms before the end of your first day of work.
- Bring the proper ID's: See this list for acceptable forms of I-9 required identification.
NOTE: All forms of identification must be original. We cannot accept photocopies or faxes. If you worked on campus in the past three years and have already completed these forms, then you should not complete them again.
Step 2: Wait Time for VIP Login
- You must wait 7-10 business days after your first day of work before you can log into VIP as a student employee.
Step 3: Change VIP PIN
- When accessing VIP, you may first be required to enter additional credentials through the USC Central Authentication Service (CAS). On this screen, you can login with either your VIP ID or your Blackboard username.
- In VIP, login via the USC ID/PIN Login & First Time Users tab. Enter your Social Security number into Step 1 and your temporary PIN into Step 2 (temporary PIN: your birth month and birth day, entered as MMDD).
- Follow the prompts to change your PIN. You must allow for an overnight update before you can use your new PIN on VIP and ITAMS.
Step 4: VIP & ITAMS
- Log in to VIP with your Social Security Number and new PIN from Step 3.
- Click the "Employment" link on the left.
- Click "Payroll Direct Deposit" to enter your banking information.
Direct deposit is REQUIRED!
- Click "Upcoming Paycheck" to view future paychecks.
NOTE: Pay stubs will not be viewable several days before payday, and the error message will read: "EMPLOYEE GROSS IS ZERO."
- Click "Past Paychecks" to view previous paycheck stubs.
For Hourly Student Employees:
You can log into ITAMS the morning after your VIP PIN was created. Weekly timesheets must be submitted for approval no later than the following Sunday.
- From The Dome, open ITAMS.
- Log in with yoru Social Security Number and new PIN from Step 3.
- Click "Time Entry" in the upper right corner.
- Open the drop-down menu "Report Period Ending" to select the week you wish to enter hours. (Work weeks are Sunday - Saturday).
- Enter the number of hours worked for the week.
If no timesheet appears, click "AddTimeCde" in the upper right corner.
Enter minutes rounded to the next quarter hour as .25, .50 or .75 (for example, if you worked 5 hours and 12 minutes, enter 5.25; for 5 hours and 28 minutes, enter 5.50).
- Click "Save" and then click "Send for Approval."
- In the confirmation box, leave the default timesheet approver and click "Send."
Step 5: Success!
Congratulations, you're done! Here are a few things to note:
- Don't forget to submit your timesheet on time every week.
- Paydays are the 15th and the last day of each month.
- See the weeks paid on each pay date.
- Direct Deposit is required.
- Your first paycheck may be in paper form, which is available for pickup at the cashiers' windows in the Health Education Complex. The pay stub in VIP will indicate the method of disbursement.