Each member of the faculty and staff play an important role, directly or indirectly, in the education of students and in the mission of the University. The Human Resources Office supports the University through planning, implementing, and promoting human resource programs and practices that enhance the University's ability to attract, develop, reward and retain an exceptional faculty and staff.
Review Tax Withholding Amounts to Avoid Surprises at Year End
The IRS issued the 2018 Form W4 (Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate) in March 2018 with revised worksheets that apply to the tax legislation enacted in early 2018. In addition, the IRS recently released an updated withholding calculator and an FAQ document on questions related to tax withholdings that are tools to help employees assess the proper withholding amounts for 2018 to avoid unexpected over/underwithholding when 2018 tax returns are filed in 2019.
To provide easy access for USC employees to the IRS updated withholding calculator and the FAQ document, the USC Payroll Office has added these links to their website under the tax withholding question "Should I review my federal tax withholding amounts in lieu of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act signed into law in December 2017?"
All employees are encouraged to review their tax withholdings, but the IRS especially recommends that employees in the following taxpayer groups review their status to determine if a revised Form W4 should be completed:
- Two-income families
- Those with two or more jobs at the same time or who only work part of the year
- Those with children who claim credits such as the Child Tax Credit
- Those who itemized in 2017
- Those with high incomes and more complex tax returns
- Those with older dependents including children age 17 or older
- Those with large refunds or large tax bills in 2017
Should you require an adjustment to your Form W4 to meet your 2018 tax obligations, please complete the 2018 Form W4 as soon as possible for processing by the Payroll Office. You may update your Form W4 electronically in VIP (recommended for immediate processing) or you may complete a paper Form W4. See the links for Form W4 changes under the My Payroll/Taxes section under the tax withholding question "How do I change my tax withholding allowances?"
As a reminder, the Payroll Office is responsible for processing the Form W-4 but is not responsible for giving tax advice to employees. Employees who have tax questions should consult a trusted tax professional. All changes submitted via VIP by noon on April 9th will be included with the April 15th payroll. All changes submitted via VIP after April 9th but before noon on April 24th will be included with the April 30th payroll.
- Background Check Authorization and Disclosure Form — A pre-employment screening is required for all faculty, staff, and certain student employees.
- Holiday Schedule — View scheduled university holidays.
- ITAMS — The Internet-based Time and Attendance Management System is your resource for time entry and timesheet management while working at USC Upstate.
- Pay Dates — Keep track of important dates and know when to expect your direct deposit.
- USC Jobs — Applicant Login — Manage submitted employment applications to job postings at USC Upstate.
- USC Jobs — Hiring Manager Login — For hiring managers to review submitted applications to job postings.
- VIP — Online information system that allows employees secure access to a variety of personal information such as paycheck stubs, contact information, education, job profile, payroll and benefits information.