New Employee Onboarding
You've just joined a workforce of 1,000 faculty and staff, educating about 6,000 students in over 40 majors from 36 states and 51 nations.
You are now a member of a thriving campus community and distinguished academic university. We're glad you're here! Use this information as a guide to assist in a smooth transition into your new position at USC Upstate. Get started below.
Before arriving to campus for your first day, review the material below to familiarize yourself with important information.
- If applicable, review your benefits online to make an informed decision.
- Become familiar with USC Upstate policies and procedures.
- Meet the Chancellor.
- View your department's organizational chart.
- Understand your department's culture by thoroughly reading its webpage. Simply visit the A-Z Index to find your department.
- Read current articles on our faculty's scholarly research and achievements on the Faculty Focus page.
- Map your morning commute to work and plan where you will park.
- Complete your OSHA training. Print and sign your training log to bring on your first day.
- Become a fan of the Spartans and join our social media outlets.
- Check out all the employee perks.
- Review the Drug-Free Workplace Policy.
- Visit Human Resources: Come prepared with your I-9 identification information and your decisions on benefits.
- New Staff Orientation: One-on-one meeting with Training Coordinator to familiarize with the basics.
- New Faculty Orientation: Held at the beginning of each academic year.
- Faculty/Staff Picture: It's required! Set up an appointment with our University Photographer, Les Duggins, at 864-503-5591. His office is located on the ground floor of the Library, Tukey Theater entrance, room 013.
- Parking decal from University Police: Bring your vehicle registration and proof of insurance to the Public Safety office.
- Set up your email address: Review email tips from University Communications.
- Set up your voice mail message, ring tone, etc.: Instructions can be found at Information Technology and Data Services webpage.
- Sign up for safety notifications through SpartAlert.
Within your first two weeks, you should accomplish the following:
- Log into ITAMS, the University's Internet-based Time & Attendance Management System. This link is also located on the Faculty & Staff webpage.
- Create your ID at University Public Safety.
- Meet your co-workers and those at other offices with whom you will work closely.
- Make webpage changes and updates as necessary to reflect new information.
- Complete any initial training sessions listed on your New Employee Training Worksheet.
- You should receive access to any shared drives, special programs or software for your position. If you do not, check with your supervisor.
JOIN IN and find your favorite volunteer opportunity:
- Advise a student organization
- Help with Freshmen Move-In Day
- Consider joining Staff Council
- Dig in our community garden
- Serve at Late Night Breakfast
ATTEND university-wide events:
- University Day
- Holiday Celebration
- May Day Picnic
- Athletic Events
CONTRIBUTE to your favorite charity:
- Family Fund
- United Way
- Cancer Awareness Initiatives
- SNAC Program - providing non-perishable food items for students in need
- Relay for Life
LEARN through many opportunities:
- New employee orientation
- New employee tours
- Workshops and seminars throughout the year
Give us your FEEDBACK about your first year at USC Upstate, and tell us how we can improve the new employee orientation process.
Remember the University's #1 core value: PEOPLE COME FIRST