Resources for Parents

ISSUE: Absenteeism

WHO TO CONTACT: Dean of Students (family crisis / medical absences); Student Success Center (all other absences)

SUGGESTION: The class attendance policy is determined individually by each professor. Faculty may permit students to make-up work only for serious illness, death in the family, representing the University off campus, etc. Please contact the appropriate office for further assistance if your student is accumulating absences.

ISSUE: Academic Difficulties

WHO TO CONTACT: Professor or Student Success Center

SUGGESTION: Students who are struggling academically should first and foremost meet with their professor. They should also be referred to the Student Success Center to get academic counseling and to receive any needed additional academic support necessary (tutoring, SI, etc.).

ISSUE: Alcohol/Drug Abuse

WHO TO CONTACT: Health Education

SUGGESTION: Try to determine the extent of abuse; encourage student to seek professional help. The problem may be too severe for parents or students to deal with alone. Contact Health Education for consultation and referral.

ISSUE: Roommate Conflicts

WHO TO CONTACT: Residential Life or Counseling Services

SUGGESTION: Encourage student to take time to work through conflicts; discuss the value of learning to get along with someone who is different; help student to be appropriately assertive without being domineering. Make them aware of Counseling Services as a resource.

Issue: Illness

WHO TO CONTACT: Health Services

SUGGESTION: Encourage the student to go to Health Services for treatment. If needed, Health Services will make the appropriate referral or work with the primary care physician for treatment.

ISSUE: Homesickness/Loneliness

WHO TO CONTACT: Counseling Services or Residential Life

SUGGESTION: Before school starts, determine when visits home will be scheduled and when you might be able to visit the campus; let your student know that homesickness is a common problem with freshmen and Counseling Services can offer support. Use campus notifications to help student learn about things to do on campus and in the community. Urge student to contact the Office of Student Life about how to get involved at USC Upstate.

ISSUE: Changing Major

WHO TO CONTACT: Career Center, Counseling Services or Academic Advisor

SUGGESTION: Research shows most college students will change their major several times during their college experience. This is normal and does not reflect indecisiveness, but more likely a clarification of students’ interests, values and skills as they relate to career choice. Encourage your student to seek career
counseling in order that they might clarify their career path.

ISSUE: Safety

WHO TO CONTACT: University Police or Resident Assistant

SUGGESTION: USC Upstate is a relatively safe place, but students need to be reminded that they need to take the same precautions here that they would in any metropolitan area. Emergency call boxes are located throughout campus. Tips on personal safety and the security of property will be provided by the
University Police.

ISSUE: Parking Tickets

WHO TO CONTACT: University Police

SUGGESTION: Make sure student has a clear understanding of where on campus students (depending on sticker color) can park. Unpaid parking tickets end up on a student’s account – you may want to make sure your student knows he/she is responsible for those charges.

ISSUE: Withdrawal from a class

WHO TO CONTACT: Professor, Academic Advisor, Student Success Center, Financial Aid

SUGGESTION: Student should always discuss matter with professor first. Additional support and advice can be provided through the Student Success Center. Students should also check with their academic advisor to determine impact of decision on degree progress. Students should be aware of deadlines set forth in the academic calendar every semester. Students receiving scholarships or financial aid should check with the Financial Aid Office to determine any impact of withdrawing from a class.

Issue: Determining a Career Goal

WHO TO CONTACT: Career Center or Counseling Services

SUGGESTION: Career exploration is a process which takes place over the duration of the college experience. Personality inventories utilized in career counseling, exploration using SIGI (a computerized career guidance instrument), internships and resume development are just some of the components students can use to
continually refine their career goals.